Here’s a simple potato soup recipe that skips most of the rich add-ins that can lower such a vegetable soup to a guilty pleasure. Gone are heavy dairy ingredients like half and half or sour cream, unless you use indulgent leftover mashed potatoes.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 T butter
- 1 14 oz can sliced potatoes, diced
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 14 oz diced ham (2 1/2 to 3 cups)
- 32 oz mashed potatoes (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 T dried parsley or 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 t pepper
Melt butter in dutch over medium heat. Add onions and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add carrots and celery. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are crisp tender. Add broth, ham, and canned potatoes. Bring to a gentle boil. Stir in mashed potatoes and sprinkle with parsley. Soup is ready to serve when heated through.